Monday, December 10, 2012

“Luther and Calvin, Sittin’ in a Tree…”

http://reformation500.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/luther-and-calvin-sittin-in-a-tree/

No, not “K-I-S-S-I-N-G”. But they agreed on something. Luther said:

Listen to the incarnate Son, and predestination will present itself of its own accord. Staupitz used to comfort me with these words:

“Why do you torture yourself with these speculations? Look at the wounds of Christ and at the blood that was shed for you. From these predestination will shine. Consequently, one must listen to the Son of God, who was sent into the flesh and appeared to destroy the work of the devil (1 John 3:8) and to make you sure about predestination. And for this reason He says to you: ‘You are My sheep because you hear My voice’ (cf. John 10:27). ‘No one shall snatch you out of My hands”’ (cf. v. 28).

Martin Luther, vol. 5, Luther’s Works, Vol. 5 : Lectures on Genesis: Chapters 26-30, ed. Jaroslav Jan Pelikan, Hilton C. Oswald and Helmut T. Lehmann, Luther’s Works, 5:47 (Saint Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1999, c1968).

No comments:

Post a Comment